Are you wanting to work with children or young people, or
Will you be leading a Bible study, or
Have any type of leadership role at St James?
If so, there are two requirements that must be met:
- You must have a government mandated Working with Children Clearance (WWCC), which has been verified by the church.
- You must complete training called “Breaking the Silence” (BTS), which deals with addressing and preventing abuse within the church.
If you have any questions, either about the requirements, or about any of the material covered in the BTS course, please don’t hesitate to speak to Robert or to any of the elders.
How to obtain and verify your WWCC
If you don’t have a WWCC, follow these steps:
- Fill-out an online application form. This button will take you there.
- After you complete the form, you will be given an Application Number. Take that to Service NSW with your identification.
- You will receive an email from The Office of Children’s Guardian notifying you of your clearance.
- Fill-out the church’s WWCC online registration form. This button will take you there
- Forward your clearance email to email@example.com
If you do have a WWCC, just do steps 4 and 5 above.
If you are registered already with the church, but your WWCC is being renewed:
- Your clearance will expire after 5 years. 3 months before the expiry date you will be sent notification with instructions for renewing. We will also contact you with a reminder when within that 3 month period. If, for some reason, you don’t receive that notification from the Office of Children’s Guardian, you can go to this page to start the renewal process.
- When you have your renewal clearance email, forward your renewal clearance AND your date-of-birth to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that your clearance must be re-verified by the church.
Are all your details with the Office of Children’s Guardian up-to-date?
Completing the BTS training
The BTS Basic Training course must be done before you start in your role. It must then be done again every 3 years.
If you have face-to-face involvement with children, then a shorter refresher training must be done every year as well.
These are the ways you can do the courses
- BTS Basic Training courses are sometimes run at the church. If one of these is coming up, jump on board!
- If there isn’t a session being offered soon enough then you will need to do it online. You can work through the material at your own pace. When you have done that, there is a quiz to complete. Copies of the accompanying workbook are available from Ali Herridge at our church office. Just ask for one. Click this button to access the course.
- The 3 modules that you need to complete for the refresher training can be accessed just below. When you have completed the modules, please let the WWC administrator know that you have done that by emailing to email@example.com
The Refresher Training Course
Don’t forget to let us know that you have completed the Refresher training!